Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Shika

Location: 台北市安和路一段137號 (near a 235 bus stop)
Telephone: 02-2700-0299 or 02-2700-1332
Hours: 11:30-14:30 / 17:30-22:00

Last weekend, thanks to a Groupon deal, I took a visit to a newly opened Japanese sushi place near XinYi Road called Shika. Searching through the web, I found out that 'shika' (しか) in Japanese means 'only,' 'just,' or 'merely' and it goes with a negative sentence. Anyways, for those who are interested I'll leave below the website I used and you can freely explore it if you like.

Entering the place it had a very soothing Japanese ambiance to it. We sat down just in front of the sushi bar and the itamae (aka sushi chef) explained to us about the lunch set menu variety that included: Gyūdon (牛丼), Baked fish (烤魚), Chirashizushi (散壽司), Nigirizushi (握壽司) and Sashimi (生魚片).


The set menu started with a salad. Some of the Roman lettuce leaves had some browning on the sides, but the scallop did it. It was juicy and fresh, a really nice piece with a nice sear. 


Then we had a little Yam & Tomato shooter. It was ... extraneous. And I mean that because it had some bubble that made it feel gooey, but the crisp of the yam balanced the cloying smooth-feeling of the bubbles and tomatoes. Following that was a little dish of fish which I believe it was really hard to eat. There were so many spines, I had to stop talking to make sure I didn't choke on one. Flavor wise, nothing special, it had a very ordinary fish with light soy sauce flavor.


For the main course, I has the Sashimi. It was good, fresh and just like how you would picture a really nice place of sashimi. 


Another main entrance is the Nigirizushi which looks like this: 


Overall I say it was good, and it wasn't the Miso soup or the fruits in the end that did it for me, but it was that sea urchin with roe in my main entrance that I will remember. It was a really nice sea flavored combo. Nonetheless the service was a little off. At some point I was eating my main entrance with 2 empty plates around me. And it was such a shame that the itamae did not make the sushi in front of where we were sitting. At a price offered by Groupon for 1499nt for 2 people (around 750nt per person) I believe it was decent, but slightly on the higher end.  

Japanese Language Website: http://www.learn-japanese-adventure.com/japanese-expressions-dake-shika.html

No comments:

Post a Comment